Puerto Escondido Ranked 8th in CNN 50 Best Surf Spots
Like most surfing spots around the world, the Mexican Pipeline Puerto Escondido has a real laid-back culture. Puerto Escondido Mexico is ranked #8 on CNN Travel’s list of Top 50 surfing spots in the world.
Just in the Western Hemisphere alone there are over 362 popular surfing locations.
Here’s a quick review of the surfing spots in Central and North America:
- Continental United States – 245
- Hawaii – 36
- Caribbean – 45
- Mexico – 29
- Canada – 7
Yet, despite so many great world-class surfing destinations, Puerto Escondido MX (aka Mexican Pipeline) made the Top 10.
CNN Travel, with the help of pro surfers and Surfing Magazine, placed the Mexican Pipeline Puerto Escondido at an impressive #8 on the list! And Puerto Escondido is in with some great company.
World’s Top 10 surfing spots by CNN Travel
- The Pipeline in Oahu Hawaii – known as the granddaddy of all waves
- The Supertubes at Jeffrey’s Bay in South Africa – hailed as having the world’s best right-hand ride
- The Teahupo’o in Tahiti (French Polynesia)
- Uluwatuand Kuta in Bali, Indonesia
- P-Pass (Paliker Pass) Pohnpei in the Federated States of Micronesia
- Maverick’s in California – accessible only by boat or jet-ski – for expert surfers only
- Hossegor in France – considered the surfing capital of Europe
- Mexican Pipeline Puerto Escondido, Oaxaca, Mexico – very long surf season (from March to December)
- Cloud Nine at Siargoa Island in the Philippines
- Lance’s Right in Sipora, Mentawais Islands, Sumatera Barat, Indonesia
About Puerto Escondido Mexico
The fishing village of Puerto Escondido is located on the Emerald Coast in the state of Oaxaca on the Pacific shores of southern Mexico. It is a place that is rich in culture and offers a glimpse of authentic Mexico!
It’s also a place that offers excellent surfing conditions with one of the world’s best beach breaks. Ideal weather, miles of white sandy beaches, and endless summers with warm year-round temperatures are just part of the fun.
In Puerto Escondido, the Pacific waters are warmer than Hawaii and the beach at Playa Zicatela is home to the Mexican Pipeline. This is an affectionate name given by world class surfers to the large swells and powerful barreling beach breaks.
In fact, Puerto Escondido Mexico has been a hidden destination for avid surfers since the 1960s. It has only been in the last decade that the North American tourists have discovered this “hidden gem.”
Even if you are just beginning to surf, there are plenty of local beaches like the break of La Punta that offer surfing lessons for all skill levels.
If you are looking for more than a surfing holiday, Puerto Escondido, which has a population of 45,000+, has plenty of other things to do and see.
About CNN Travel News
CNN Travel defines itself as the “Definitive digital travel resource for a globally curious, intelligent and intrepid audience.” They are a rich resource for information, recommendations, and helpful advice on where to go and what to do as you explore the world.
Visit the PDF file to read about the Mexican Pipeline Puerto Escondido and the entire CNN Travel article entitled “World’s 50 Best Surf Spots.”
Learn More About Vivo Resorts
As the CNN Travel article stated, “Maybe you surf, maybe you don’t. It doesn’t matter. Everyone who’s been to the beach in the last 50 years is influenced by the surf culture.”
Come visit Puerto Escondido Mexico and you’ll also experience authentic Mexican culture.
Learn more about Vivo Resorts on Social Media!